Thursday 14 April 2016

ANZAC

I had to put myself in James Martin's shoes who was the youngest Australian soldier to fight in WW1. I had to write a letter to his parents pretending that i was him.
 25.4.015

Dear Mum and Dad

My troop has just landed in Gallipoli. It is such a beautiful site, apart from the trenches and all the weaponry it looks fantastic! The smell is horrible though there are already quite a lot of dead bodies from the trip and the smell of smoke is everywhere i go. My mate that i room with is such a good bloke his name is Liam and he is such a good bloke, i think that you would love him. He is from New Zealand and he is quite craftsy. He made me  little pockets inside of my coat so i could sneak a little extra food for both of us. We have been marching forwards to keep on making more territory. The men that dig the holes look really strong and the they can dig trenches in under a minute. There have been some close calls when me and Liam have been joking around and we almost got ourselves killed from keeping a broomstick and throwing it to each other. The Major told us off but we were in hysterical laughter afterwards. Oh and a broomstick is one of the Turks bombs. I know that you didn’t want me too but i joined the Imperial force without you knowing and that’s why i have been gone lately. But don’t worry i am perfectly safe. The food here is horrible all it is is canned beef straight out of a can and sometimes stale bread with jam on. The jam tin’s are really useful for making homemade bombs. Liam taught me how to make those and they're really fun to throw. They make a sort of fizzzz! Sound then when it explodes sometimes the leftover jam comes over to our side. We keep on moving closer which makes me feel more scared each time because the guns are getting louder and i can smell this really weird smell which is kind of like the gas  we use on the BBQ except worse. Every time we’re marching we have to step over dead bodies with either bullet holes in them or paper white eyes from a new weapon that the Major hasn’t told us about. The Major has told us about the new weapon which is deadly gas and that if one bomb gets into our trench that we have to soak a handkerchief in urine and put it up to our mouths. I will have to stop writing now because I have to charge toward No Man’s Land which is the middle part which splits up the allied trenches and the enemy's trenches. I'll do my best to stay alive, just joking i have lots of friends that will help me get through this dreaded war.

With love from your son
James Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment